Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Plantain Salve

The other day I decided to make some plantain salve. I saw the recipe online and I noticed I have some within the brick walkway beside my house.

Ingredients:
! cup plantain leaves (chopped)
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1 Tbsp grated beeswax (tightly packed)
1/2 - 1 tsp rosemary, tea tree oil or vitamin E oil (I used rosemary and vitamin E)

So I collected a bunch, chopped it, put it in a jar and covered it with olive oil. Put a towel in the bottom of a crock pot, put the jar on top of towel and fill with water about half way up the jar. (don't forget to put a lid on the jar). Set the crock pot at the lowest setting and cook for 12-24 hours. Then strain through cheesecloth. Heat bees wax in double boiler, add the plantain oil, mix, cool and store.
Great for stings, poison ivy, eczema, sunburn, diaper rash, psoriasis, and mosquito bites.

My granddaughter was up to visit Saturday and I was so glad I got the salve made because she burnt her fingers on a pan lid. I put some ointment on and she said it made it stop hurting right away.

Made me feel good.


Experiments in sustainability....

No comments:

Post a Comment